St James

Join us at

St James

There is a small car park available at St James. Please park sensibly so we can maximise the amount of cars using the car park.

Be aware that there will be pedestrians & children crossing the car par on the way to services. Please park courteously if you are parking in the surrounding streets. Our neighbours and local residents must have reasonable, sensible & safe access to their properties.

Chase Cross Rd, Romford RM5 3XL

Wheelchair Accessible

Learn more...

The History St James

The forerunner of St James' was started in 1940, by the Havering Church minister at the time, Rev. Horace Banks when he and the congregation saw an evangelistic opportunity. The Calvary Mission, as it was called, met in a hut at the junction of St Johns Road and Clockhouse Lane. It was dedicated on 18th May 1940.

The Mission had a large congregation and the Sunday school was so large it had to be held in two sections. Some of our more senior members may remember either Lay Reader Vic Wallace and Church Warden Mr. W. Moore who, with Rev Horace Banks, preached at the Mission.

When the Mission was disbanded in 1954 (when the building of St James was completed) the congregation was dispersed among the local churches, some to St James’.

In the 1950s there was a parish boundary change, and the parish of St James, or as it was called then, ‘The Ecclesiastical District of St James’, in the Chafford Deanery, was created out of sections of the four parishes in the district. They were: St Johns, Havering; St Edwards; The Ascension; and The Good Shepherd.

For a few years St James was a dual purpose Church until the erection of the hall. To the joy of the congregation, the church was altered and consecrated as the Parish Church of Collier Row by The Lord Bishop of Chelmsford The Rt Revd John Tiarks, on 28th October 1966.

In 1989, under the ministry of Revd. Len Lunn, a building project saw the hall and Church building linked together with a new kitchen being built in the new linkway. An Upper Room was built in roof space at the rear of the church building and the chancel was modernised, including the floor being raised creating a stage area.

In 1994, under the Ministry of Revd Geoff Herbert, the grounds were ‘made over’ and shrub beds and car parking spaces were formed.

In 2000, the front entrance on Chase Cross Road was re-modelled to include a toilet for the disabled and a spacious entrance.

During the Ministry of Revd. Roger Garnet, St James and St Johns began worshipping together as a ‘joint benefice’, alternating the worship between St James and St Johns buildings. Now we have officially become one fellowship/Church.